Please read through all rules and procedures before registering
The purchase of the base party package, or themed package, includes a private party room for a maximum of two (2) hours, with unlimited access to the public galleries for self-guided tours during that time. A DelMNS staff member will be available to help you during this time, and will monitor the party participants to ensure that DelMNS rules and policies are adhered to.
A maximum of 30 people total — birthday child and family members included — are covered in the base package price. Due to fire safety codes, only 30 people are allowed in the party room at any given time. All additional guests over the 30 included in the package who arrive the day of the party must pay regular admission and may not be in the room if 30 people are already there. For parties expecting more than 30 people, a second party room may be rented for the same base price ($290 for DelMNS members or $390 for non-members). This must be arranged with DelMNS staff at least three weeks prior to the party date. DelMNS cannot guarantee that a second party room will be available on your preferred party date. If a second party room is rented, the total maximum number of people allowed is 60 (30 per room).
- Clients may arrive 30 minutes prior to their rental start time to set up the party room.
- Clients may not show up earlier than 30 minutes prior to their designated start time, and may not drop off any items at an earlier date or time.
- Set up and take down are the responsibility of the client, and DelMNS staff are not expected to assist in these endeavors.
- Food, decorations and tablecloths are not provided by the museum. Tablecloths are required and must be purchased ahead of time by the host and brought with them on the day of the rental. Four (4) 6’x 2.5’ tables are provided per room rented for client use the day of the rental, and must be covered in their entirety for the duration of the rental. Food and beverages are NOT allowed in the galleries. All food and beverages must be kept exclusively in the private party room area.
- A sink is available for clients’ use, but we do not provide refrigeration, ice, or heat sources for food.
- Wall decorations may be used but may only be hung using painters’ tape that will not puncture or scratch the paint, cabinets, or doors of the party room.
- When clients and participants arrive, they must check in at the front desk, and receive a birthday party tag. This tag allows them access to the party room. Guests without a tag are NOT permitted in the party room (only 30 party tags per base rental package). Guest lists are the responsibility of the host, and DelMNS staff will not manage this.
After the party
- Clients have 30 minutes after the two-hour timeslot to pack up and clean the party room.
- The room must be left in the same condition it was in prior to party setup, and no items may be left behind.
- All garbage must be put into the provided trash bins, or taken with the client.
Non-permitted items and activities
- Fire sources (matches, lighters), balloons, glitter, glow sticks, confetti, pinatas, decorations hanging from the ceiling, and sharp utensils are NOT allowed. Staff can provide flame sources to light birthday candles.
- Use of thumbtacks, scotch tape, etc. to hang wall decorations. Only painter’s tape may be used.
- Alcohol, Marijuana, illegal drugs, weapons and all other illicit items are not allowed on or near DelMNS property.
- Outside hired activities (face painters, clowns, magicians, etc.) are not permitted.
- Running, horseplay, screaming/shouting, climbing exhibits (unless they are designed for that purpose), littering in galleries, and damaging museum property is forbidden. Museum staff members have the final say on what activities are not permitted in the museum, and all guests must follow their instructions.
Guests who fail to follow instructions given by DelMNS staff may be asked to leave without reimbursement.
Cancellations must be made at least two weeks before your scheduled program start date.
- If you cancel your reservation less than 2 weeks prior, you will NOT be refunded for your order.
- Cancellations made between 15 days to 30 days prior to your program start date will receive a 50% refund minus an administrative fee of $25.00.
- Cancellations made at least 31 days prior to your program start date receive a full refund minus an administrative fee of $25.00.
Museum Terms and Conditions (Click to open)
I agree to comply with all laws and regulations of the State of Delaware including but not limited to, safety, fire and zoning laws as well as the rules and policies of the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science. I understand that the museum has the authority to refuse continuance of my rental in the event of inappropriate behavior or use of the premises. If there is any discrepancy in your program date and/or time, I can contact the Education Department immediately, at (302) 658-9111 ext. 331. If I need to cancel my program, or will be late, I will call as soon as possible. Please appoint one person to be in charge of your group while on museum premises. This person will be assumed to be the Contact listed, unless otherwise stated in writing. This person will be responsible for all clients and participants in their party, and will bring and provide monies to pay for the admission of the entire group, if not paid for ahead of time, and for any additional participants that exceed the program maximums.
I agree to be responsible for all injury or damage of any kind to persons or property, regardless of who may be the owner of the property (including without limitation, the museum’s furniture, furnishings, and collections) arising out of or suffered through any act or omission of myself or my group, in connection with its use of museum facilities. I further assume the obligation to indemnify and hold harmless the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science, its affiliates, trustees, officers, agents and employees against all damages, claims, expenses, including reasonable legal fees, or other liability due to bodily injury, personal injury or death, or damages of property of others arising out of or suffered through any act or omission of myself or my group, in connection with my use of museum facilities.
I further understand that all facilities and equipment are subject to availability. I will be responsible for submitting any necessary forms, payments, or information to the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science during registration and understand failure to do so may result in the cancellation of my reservation. Misrepresentation of the nature of the activity, or failure to disclose pertinent details regarding this event may result in additional charges or denial of facility use.
By registering and paying for this party, the client and all guests invited to use the rental space and galleries agree to adhere to all rules and policies set forth on this page and upheld by the Delaware Museum of Nature and Science. The client understands that infractions of these rules can result in immediate termination of this agreement and cancellation of the rental permissions, without a refund.